Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Kromski Sonata-First Impressions

Ok don't hate me, but I didn't take any pictures because I was spinning. And then it was time to go to bed. But here is a narrative.

First of all, this is not a small wheel. Yes it folds and fits in a backpack and all, but I don't think the backpack is going to fit in the overhead bin. I don't even know if it would clear the TSA X-ray scanner thing. Brita, when we do yarn school, I'm probably going to have to ship it to you. So that's a little bit of a bummer. But bigger is better, right? And it's still great that it folds because my apartment is not that big, so I can put it in the closet when not in use. It's like i have a full-size wheel that stores easily. So no biggie. I just won't be taking it with me every time I get on an airplane, which is sort of what I was imagining. I'll just have to knit while travelling. And really, that makes more sense anyway.

It has a couple of minor dings from shipping, but I am not going to worry about it.

When I first set it up, it was way squeaky. But I just added some oil (included) and that fixed her right up. Kromski's are supposed to be oil guzzlers. Fortunately I work on bicycles so there is always a wide variety of lubricants around the house. Shouldn't be an issue.

It treadles very nicely. Whew! I was nervous about that, just because I hadn't tried it before and I had some issues with other wheels. I got off to a rough start spinning. My yarn was thick and thin like it's never been before, especially the thick part. And then I was having trouble getting the brake band adjusted correctly. But finally I got it all figured out and it was smooth sailing. I still don't understand why if you tighten the brake band, it pulls the yarn harder, if you know what I mean. But that's ok, I'll figure it out. I spun about a bobbin full last night, maybe a little less. It was great fun. And so much faster and more relaxing than a spindle! Yay. I can't wait to spin some more!

I will try to take pictures tonight, but I have a friend in town and I'm giving her priority. So we'll see. At least by Friday, I should have some.

No comments: