Saturday, February 2, 2008

Banana Socks



I just finished my banana socks. They are Spunky Eclectic skinny sock yarn in Monkey Farts. I loved making these. I would have taken a better picture but I can't take them off. Maybe later. You know on Arrested Development, when Lucille is surprised by Gene Parmesan, and she starts screaming with joy and flapping her arms around? That is how these socks make me feel. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But there is a problem.


Ladders. See that ugly column of looser stitches running down the middle? It is my new New Year's resolution to make those things go away. My old New Year's resolution was to score a goal in soccer. I'll still try to do that too. But this new resolution has a better chance of success.

Method 1: switch from DPN's to Magic Loop (scroll down and watch the video). So far, promising.


Method 2: Cat Bordhi in New Pathways for Sock Knitters (you need this book. I know it's $30. Just do it.) suggests knitting the first stitch on a needle like normal, then knit the second stitch tight. I discovered this tip right at the end of the second banana sock, and I think it was kind of working. It makes no sense to me but I'll take it.

Method 3: Knit more loosely in general, so it's not so hard to tighten up the joints. I made this up. No idea if that even works.

I know this is a common problem but clearly a lot of people have solved it for themselves. Anyone have some ladder-eliminating tips?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a) EEEEEE!! I can totally picture you as Lucille, as though Gene Parmesan is leaping from your yarn bag. Congrats!

b) How do the ladders come about? Is this where the ends of the circle meet? You novice knitting friend is confused.

Anonymous said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! That made me smile all day. ;-)

Personally, I like DPS better than magic loop for getting used to getting rid of ladders. THEN go to the circs. Unless of course, you rock the circs. Then don't listen to a thing I say. But don't be Sara, she never listens to ANYTHING I say.

Happy Monday!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wait, where's Buster?

Invis said...

Dr. J: Yes, the ladders are at the joints of the needles. It's hard to get that first stitch tight enough.

Rubiy: Really? I heard that getting rid of the ladders is easier with circs. Huh. It's working ok so far, but not 100% great. At least there are only 2 strips of loose stitches instead of 3 or 4. I'll make the next socks on DPN's with the tightening the second stitch trick. I definitely need to use 5 dpn's, not 4.